Easy Samosas

Ingredients:

3 lbs yellow potatoes diced
1 lb ground beef
2 cup frozen peas
1 large onions diced
1.5 tsp tumeric
4.5 tsp ground cumin
3 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground chili
3 tsp coarse kosher salt
1 tsp butter
6 cloves of garlic finely chopped
2 tsp shredded ginger
shredded mozarella cheese
olive oil
tortilla shells

Directions:

I enjoy samosas, but the mess from deep frying turns me off so I've always bought them. I don't do it very often because they are expensive. Especially since when I worked in the middle east so many years ago, I could buy 4 samosas for a riyal, which is about a dollar. I came across a samosadilla recipe and decided to give it a try this week-end. It was surprisingly easy to make. I altered the recipe by adding ground beef and cheese. 

Fry the ground beef until almost cooked and crumbly. Transfer to a bowl. Pour some olive oil and butter in pan and saute the onions.

While the onions are cooking, dice potatoes and place in a pot of water with salt. Boil until tender. Drain and set aside.

Once onions are semi transparent, add ginger, garlic, salt, cumin, coriander, tumeric and chili peppers and stir. Let the spices cook with the onions for a few minutes. Add peas and ground beef to the mixture and cook for a few more minutes. Toss in potatoes to the mixture, stir and set aside to cool.

Sprinkle some olive oil in a frying pan. Place tortilla shell on pan and add cheese on half the shell. Add samosa filling on same half of shell. Flatten and then top with more cheese. Close the shell forming a half circle. Cook until bottom is crispy brown and flip to brown the other side.

Serve with chutney. Unfortunately I had none so I just ate it plain. Yum.



Comments

Popular Posts